Our biggest priority is our residents’ safety.
However, simple steps can be taken to keep yourself, your property and your possessions safe, particularly from the risk of fire. The majority of fatalities in a fire are down to smoke inhalation and toxic gas rather than the actual heat and flames of the fire.
Your home has been fitted with its own self-contained fire detection system.
If you have any questions or concerns, then please log them using the enquiry form on the Contact Us page.
Should a fire start in your home, do not try and put it out yourself but evacuate the premises and call 999.
If there is a fire:
- The alarm will sound
- Evacuate the building
- At the exit of a communal area press the red fire call point
- Do not stop to take any belongings with you
- Go to your designated safety zone
- Call 999.
If it is a false alarm, the alarm can be silenced by pressing the silence button on the detector.
The smoke detectors monitor the particles in the air and if dust is allowed to build up in them, they will produce false alarms. We advise that you clean the head of your smoke detector with a vacuum cleaner on a regular basis. You should not remove the detector to do this.
The heat and smoke detectors are fitted with a long-life rechargeable battery which is sealed within the unit. The smoke detector unit will need to be changed once the battery stops working.
If the smoke or heat detector emits a bleep every few minutes, it is probably because the battery has come to the end of its working life. If this occurs, contact AHA immediately to change the unit.
Tips to ensure your smoke and heat detector alarms work to their full potential
- Never disconnect or take the batteries out of your alarm if it goes off by mistake
- Test the alarm by pressing the button until the alarm sounds. If it doesn’t sound, the battery needs changing
- If a smoke alarm starts to beep on a regular basis, the battery needs changing immediately.
- Cook safely. Take extra care if you need to leave the kitchen while cooking. Take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk
- Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out, they can easily get knocked off the stove
- Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob
- Take care with electrics - keep leads and appliances away from water
- Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire
- Do not put anything metal in the microwave.
- Do not set a tumble dryer running for longer than necessary
- Make sure an electrical appliance has a British or European safety mark at the time of purchase
- Keep electrical appliances clean and in good working order to prevent them triggering a fire
- Check and replace any old cables and leads
- Unplug appliances if you’re not using them or when you go to bed; particularly large appliances such as the washing machine or dishwasher
- Avoid overloading extension leads.
- Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully. Put them out and ensure they are properly extinguished
- Never smoke in bed
- Use a proper ashtray – never a bin
- Consider buying child resistant lighters and match boxes – if this isn’t possible, keep them out of reach.